Humble Games and Bounding Box Software have announced that their old-school, blood-pumping shooter Prodeus is leaving Early Access next week and coming to Switch.
On 23rd September, you’ll be able to load up your weapons and suit up in this stunning-looking retro-style shooter, which combines gorgeous pixel art, old-school rendering, and modern-day 3D tech. Created by Michael Voeller and Jason Mojica, who have a combined 25 years of experience in the FPS genre, and with music from Andrew Hulsh (composer on DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, and Amid Evil), this feels like the throwback shooter we’ve been waiting for.
Prodeus has been in Early Access for almost two years and in that time, the game has been extremely well received by fans. And while the console versions won’t be able to create their own levels, they’ll still be able to play the game in four-player co-op or dive into 16-player Deathmatches.
Here’s what you need to know about the game from publisher Humble Games:
Prodeus is a first-person shooter of old, re-imagined using modern rendering techniques and technology. Experience the quality you’d expect from a modern AAA game, designed with retro aesthetics and gameplay that invoke the tech-imposed limits of older hardware.
The game features a hand-crafted campaign from industry FPS veterans, co-op and competitive multiplayer play drawing on classic modes, a fully integrated level editor* and a built-in community map browser for instantaneous action with nearly limitless levels to play.
Get ready to paint the walls red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.
1. RETRO LOOK, MODERN ERA – Shooters past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D tech with retro visuals. Experience over-the-top explosions of lo-fi pixels and hi-tech particle effects as you clash against the Prodeans and forces of Chaos.
2. PURE RETRO FPS CHAOS – Steel yourself for fast and frantic nonstop action. Blast and blaze your way through hordes of chaos-spawned creatures using an arsenal of classically over-the-top weapons.
3. RAINING RED – Splatter the steel walls and alien halls with the blood of your enemies. Experience the gory thrills of the elder shooters, dialed up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’s delightfully demented dismemberment system.
4. COMMUNITY-CRAFTED LEVELS – Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’s powerful but easy-to-use level editor*, and keep the visceral combat fresh with a built-in browser filled with community-created maps.
5. MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM – Team up and go head-to-head in a variety of multiplayer modes. Take on the campaign in 4-player co-op, and dive into the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, and more—then take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes.
6. FRAG TO THE MUSIC – Burst blood vessels listening to a supercharged metal soundtrack by retro FPS composer Andrew Hulshult (DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, Amid Evil) that dynamically changes gears to accompany your actions.
*Available on the PC version only
You’ve only got to wait a week until you can get your hands on Prodeus, as the game launches on 23rd September on Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series X|S, and PC. And it’ll be on Game Pass on launch day too!
What do you think of Prodeus’ look? Will you be grabbing this next week? Let us know!