King Charles III leads vigil at Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin at Westminster Hall

The route will start at Wellington Arch, taking the coffin by hearse past London landmarks including the Albert Memorial and the Natural History Museum, passing through Runnymede – where Magna Carta was signed – before arriving in Windsor.

The route has been announced to allow even those who cannot face the London queue the chance to make plans to glimpse the late Queen on the final stage of what the King called her “last great journey”.

On Friday evening, a member of the public reportedly charged at the Queen’s coffin in Westminster Hall. The individual was allegedly taken to the floor by Metropolitan Police officers and arrested.

The Met told ITV: “At 22:00hrs on Friday 16 September officers from the Met’s Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command detained a man in Westminster Hall following a disturbance. He was arrested for an offence under the Public Order Act and is currently in custody”.

The Government is drawing up plans to close the queue for the Westminster Hall lying in state on Sunday morning to allow it to finish by 6.30am on Monday, when funeral preparations begin in earnest.

Whitehall officials are now urgently debating what time to shut the queue for good, following a temporary closure that lasted for most of Friday and rising concern over the capital’s infrastructure.

On Saturday, a lucky few are expected to be filing through Westminster Hall as the Queen’s grandchildren hold their own vigil – the first of its kind for a monarch lying in state.

The eight grandchildren – the Prince of Wales, Duke of Sussex, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall, Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn – will form their own silent guard at the coffin for around 15 minutes.

The Duke of Sussex will be wearing military uniform at the request of the King, in the same exception made for his uncle the Duke of York – also now a “non-working” member of the Royal family.

Leave a Comment